|“||Oh sure! Blame the lizard!||”|
“The Talented Mr. Kipling”
Season 1, Episode 2
October 7, 2011
Valerie Ahern & Christian McLaughlin
The Talented Mr. Kipling is the second episode in the first season of JESSIE. It first aired on October 7, 2011.
Jessie has a horrible nightmare about a giant version of Mr. Kipling, the pet lizard, attacking her. She wakes up to find it was just a dream, until she discovers the real Mr. Kipling in her bed. Ravi defends him, saying that he gets bored locked in his cage all day and that he is a cuddler.
Emma needs help from Jessie because she loves her photography class, but is partnered with her lazy brother, Luke on their next project. “You call it lazy - I call it selective participation,“ he tells her.
Jessie has an idea that will help everyone. She brings the kids to the park so Emma and Luke can work on their project and Ravi can walk Mr. Kipling. The big problem is getting out before Mrs. Chesterfield, the scary Head of the Condo Board who is creepily attached to her little dog Zeus, sees Mr. Kipling. The kids manage to do it with the help of Tony, the young doorman.
At the park, Emma and Luke find the perfect photography subject, a rare Hudson Valley Hawk, and set up a stake out on the roof to get a photo of it.
On their way back from the park, Mrs. Chesterfield asks Tony who is avoiding her, but Tony keeps it a secret and sarcastically tells her that everyone is avoiding her, but she sees Jessie, the kids, and Mr. Kipling in the lobby and gets sent into a panic at the sight of Mr. Kipling, and stands on top of a table, obviously not wanting to be eaten by Mr. Kipling, and asks if they have a “vicious cold blooded reptile” in the building to which Zuri replies "Why not? You live here". Jessie tells Zuri it's not a nice thing to say about Mrs. Chesterfield, although they all thought it. Mrs. Chesterfield points out that "Giant lizards are NOT allowed in this building!" and tells Tony to help her get down. Tony grabs Mrs. Chesterfield by her legs and not the waiste, and as soon as Tony puts Mrs. Chesterfield down, she calls him a "Boyishly charming troglodyte", making Tony shouting "WHOA! Language!". Ravi doesn't want Mrs. Chesterfield to take Mr. Kipling away, but Mrs. Chesterfield calls Mr. Kipling something "Before a picture of a pair of boots and a matching belt", and as Mrs. Chesterfield grabs the obviously wrong leash, Jessie and the others try to tell her that it's the wrong leash, only this time the obviously provoked Mr. Kipling attacks Mrs. Chesterfield, whose panic attack grows worse as she is appearantly literally screaming as her dress is being torn by Mr. Kipling. Jessie points out she had the wrong leash, to the obviously irritated Mrs. Chesterfield replies "Did I? Thanks for the news flash, Bessie!" and takes the other elevator upstairs. Now Ravi is afraid that his best friend will be taken away from him.
Zuri is also having a problem with a new invisible friend named Genevieve who pushes her and rips the heads off of her dolls. Jessie gives her the advice to “kill her with kindness,” which is exactly what she plans to do with Mrs. Chesterfield. She brings her "I’m-sorry-you-almost-got-eaten-by-a-giant-lizard-but-please-let-him-stay-cause-it-would-mean-so-much-to-a-little-boy" cookies, better known as Pecan Sandies. Mrs. Chesterfield bites into a pecan shell and breaks her tooth. She blames Jessie and calls Animal Control to take Mr. Kipling away.
Ravi and Jessie try to sneak Mr. Kipling out of the building with Tony’s help before the Animal Control men arrive, but then they lose him in the lobby. Mrs. Chesterfield arrives at the Ross’ apartment and Zuri uses her adorable sass to hold up her search to get rid of Mr. Kipling. The kids then spot him on Mrs. Chesterfield’s balcony slowly inching his way toward her precious pup. Jessie and Ravi run down to her apartment to get him just as the hawk Emma and Luke have been watching finally moves.
The hawk almost attacks Mrs. Chesterfield’s dog, and Mr. Kipling saves the dog with a flick of his tail (Emma and Luke get a picture of it which results in an A on their project). She allows him to stay in the apartment complex when she realizes how hard it would be to live without her own pet.
- Debby Ryan as Jessie Prescott
- Peyton List as Emma Ross
- Cameron Boyce as Luke Ross
- Karan Brar as Ravi Ross
- Skai Jackson as Zuri Ross
- Kevin Chamberlin as Bertram Winkle
Luke: It just sits there like a lump. If it watched Korean soap operas in its underpants, it'd be you, Bertram.
- This was the third episode to be filmed, but it aired second.
- This episode was originally going to be called "The Wonderful Lizard of Ross".
- This episode title is a parody of the book and movie, The Talented Mr. Ripley.
- Jessie revealed that she is at least 18 years old in this episode.
- This is the first appearance of Mrs. Chesterfield, and she is played by Carolyn Hennsey, a star from the hit daytime soap opera General Hospital.
- It is revealed by Luke, that Bertram shaves his back with a razor taped to a spatula.
- The way Ravi said Mr. Kipling is lonely in his cage is similar to how Harry complained to his uncle about Hedwig in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- This is the first episode with the character Mr. Kipling in the episode name. The second is The Secret Life of Mr. Kipling.
- Near the end of the episode, Jessie asks if a lizard using a hawk as a piniata is a first for anyone else. Ravi shakes his head and mouths 'Not really'. This implies that Mr. Kipling has done something similar before.
- When Jessie and the kids got on the elevator to go to the park, Zuri wasn't there but when they got off she was.
- Luke said that he can see into Bertram's room, but according to the episode (The Kid Whisperer), Bertram had a lot of clutter covering the window that even Bertram didn't know he had a window.
To view the The Talented Mr. Kipling transcript, click here.